Admittedly Rufus Wainwright's cover was the first version of the song I heard, but it holds as my favorite. Wainwright's vocals fit the song better and bring more emotion to the song than Cohen's.
- Jessica, St. Charles, United States, 06.02.2006
|Click on the cover for listening
||Click on the cover for listening
Comments about Hallelujah:
|1) John Cale's cover is on the Shrek soundtrack|
2) Both Wainwright and Buckley were really covering Cale's version.
3) All 3 covers plus Cohen's original are great.
4) No winners or losers here, but I would put Wainwright in 4th place...
- WW85, NYC, United States, 28.04.2009
|Saw Leonard Cohen last night, he sung it really well, different from the original album, he gave it a more beurlesque kind of feel. When you think about what the word "Halleluia" means (All glory is God's) and then pick up on all the sexual inuendo in the lyrics (there was a time when I moved IN YOU and the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was halleluia) Leonard's deep talking approach to the song makes mroe sense than the dreamy floaty singing some folks perform the song as.|
- Earlofthercs, Ballarat, Australia, 06.02.2009
|Alexandra Burke's version has just ruinned the song she didn't even pick it herself her X-Factor mentor did- Simon Cowell with the high trousers|
- Callum, Bellshill, Glasgow, Scotland, 28.12.2008
|i like both rufus's and leonard's version but the guy who sang it best was definately jeff buckley, cohen himself said so. by the way, who actually recorded their version first cohen or buckley? I mean obviously I know cohen wrote it, but I'm being told that buckley actually released his cover first so which one was it, cause i always thought it must be leonard cohen?|
- laura, London, England, 19.12.2008
|i love Rufus Wainwright|
- =), Stockholm, Sweden, 14.09.2008
|Has anyone heard k.d. lang's version? there's a whole different dimension of longing when it comes from her voice.|
- Robin, New York, United States, 20.07.2008
|(( Best cover version was never made commercially. Can be found on youtube. It's a duet with Tim Minchin (Australian musician/comedian) and Geraldine Quinn. I suspect they were drinking a bit but no matter. There Is No Contest. Tim Minchin moves The Song into another dimension. ))|
Absolutely agree. It was an impromptu non commercial performance that I would have gladly paid to hear. Amazing simply amazing cover.
- Lyle Chartrand, Winnipeg, Canada, 09.07.2008
|Buckley has my vote.|
- coleen, pittsburgh, United States, 17.04.2008
|Best cover version was never made commercially. Can be found on youtube. It's a duet with Tim Minchin (Australian musician/comedian) and Geraldine Quinn. I suspect they were drinking a bit but no matter. There Is No Contest. Tim Minchin moves The Song into another dimension.|
- ChrisTina Applegate, Matthews, United States, 27.03.2008
|Great Song (thank you, Cohen!), but his voice isn't the best. Of course, that can add feeling on it's own, but I can't help but love Wainright's voice on this song...and there seems to be more emotion, vocal change, and dynamic. Cohen brought us such a dynamic song, but wasn't able to deliver it quite as dynamically (which might partly be because of the type of music at the time).|
- Kelly, Omaha, United States, 21.03.2008